I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to the history of St. Patrick's Day. Leprechauns, the color green (or lack thereof, & in that case pinching is apparently involved), Ireland, and people consuming a lot of beer (not me of course -just had to clarify) are all things that I knew got associated with this holiday; but that is about as far as my knowledge of this day went. I am sure that I learned about it in elementary school at some point, but I guess the information I received got lost sometime after learning how to read and before learning how to multiply. Who knows?
I really began to think about it last night, trying to figure out the history of this day of St. Patrick. The name itself obviously helped me make the tie to the Catholic Church, so I decided to google it; and I'm glad I did, because I learned a lot. Supposedly St. Patrick was an Irish bishop, who believed his life calling was to convert people to Christianity, and was very successful at doing so. I guess one could say he started a revolution in Ireland that made such a lasting impact that his life is remembered each year on the day of his death. Another interesting piece of information I read was in regards to the shamrock. It is said that St. Patrick used the shamrock as a symbol for the Trinty; explaining how God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit can all exist separately but also be of the same entity. How cool is it that because I wanted to know why this holiday was associated with leprechauns and beer, God used it as an opportunity to show me that He can be found in (what is now considered) a "secular holiday."
I learned in high school that God can be found in places where you least expect it - whether in a movie or a song, or maybe a book or a painting. I was reminded of that lesson, not only with my St. Patrick's Day search, but also when God really reavealed His presence in various circumstances throughout this past weekend. I am in awe of and so blessed by how God has been revealing his presence to me in some of the most unusual of circumstances lately; showing me how He is not only working in my life, but also in the lives of many of the people I care about.
Speaking of people I care about... Drew is now at a new base. He moved about a week ago (anyone who needs his new address, just let me know). He has been keeping busy traveling a little bit and learning about his new job. As always, I am inspired by his amazing attitude and good mindset. And while I may do my best to be the encouraging fiance I am supposed to be, every phone conversation somehow ends with me feeling like I am floating on clouds because of how he has encouraged me, making me love him even more. I am so anxious for him to come home.
No comments:
Post a Comment