Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thanksgiving... Are we really giving thanks?


I have the sweetest, most amazing boyfriend in the entire universe! The past week for me has been... well, an interesting one to say the least. And on Tuesday afternoon, as I was stressing to meet a deadline for work; my doorbell rang. I initially thought it was the UPS guy delivering more stuff from my company, which is the last thing I need in my house right now. But I go downstairs, open the door, and there is a lady standing there with a huge vase full of beautiful red roses. I lit up with a smile, but then... I see a balloon. The balloon says, "Welcome Baby Boy!" The smile immediately disappears from my face, as I realize the woman has come to the wrong house. I'm thinking, "Sure, why not go ahead and get me all excited and then completely crush the happiness!?" As I began to tell her she had stopped at the wrong house, she said, "Beth Scales?" I said, "No, those can't be for me." She assured me they were, so I took them and carried them back inside. I opened the note; and sure enough, my incredible boyfriend had sent me flowers!! He explained that the purpose of the balloon was to make me laugh; and then I remembered our little inside joke that made the balloon even funnier.


The purpose of telling you all this is to not only point out that I really do have the world's sweetest, most caring, most amazing boyfriend and that I am so undeserving of him; but also to show you that we have some pretty incredible (and not to mention selfless) people overseas fighting for us and for our freedom. They are doing an amazing job of showing us how much they care about us and our country by making such a huge sacrifice through their service (and precious Drew even takes it another step further every day by doing such a good job of showing me how much he cares about me personally - I am so blessed).

What are WE doing to show them how much we care about THEM?

As we enter this Thanksgiving holiday, I encourage all of you to take a moment and think about all the men and women who are serving our country all over the world and just thank God for them and for their sacrifice. I understand that is kind of a cliche, but seriously. They're giving their lives; can we not give a couple of minutes? A simple prayer every now and then is such an awesome (and important) way to demonstrate your appreciation for them. I know many of you have made a committment to do so, and I will continually thank you for that. Being in the position I am now, I realize how I have taken everyone who has ever served our country for granted; so let's express our appreciation for them by simply remembering them this Thanksgiving season and lifting them up in our prayers.

No comments: