Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Almost Killed By A Moose

I needed to take a break from playing catch up, because let's be real - I may never catch up at this point. Plus, I needed to tell a crazy story that took place this past Saturday...

Drew and I were heading up the road on Saturday morning to a bakery that has become a favorite of our's. It has become sort of a ritual for us to go there on the weekends. Not only does it have amazing bagels and pastries, but it is so close by. So if it is nice outside, we love to to walk there. Anyway... We were driving to this bakery this past Saturday; and I have developed sort of an obsession for moose, so I am basically subconsciously constantly on the look out for them. We had just pulled out of the driveway and off to our left is this little access street blocked by a one-bar gate, and in the corner of my eye I saw two moose about seventy-five yards on the other side of the gate. I immediately began to yell, "Moose! Moose! Moose!" (as I always do whenever I see them, even if they are hundreds of yards away); and I tell Drew that he has to turn around so I can see them better, because these ones were so close. As he turns around, I bust out my little camera that I always have in my purse (I was so disappointed that I didn't have my nice camera with me); and I beg him to let me get out of the car to let me take pictures. He agrees, but I don't think he realized what I was getting ready to do...

Drew pulls up to the gate, I immediately jump out of the car, crawl under the gate, and begin to tip toe closer to the two moose (a mom and her baby, but it wasn't really a baby). I get closer and closer to the moose and farther and farther from the car, and Drew begins shouting at me to come back. I ignore him, because I want to get as close as I can to get pictures of the moose eating off of the trees. I didn't think anything about it, because they weren't paying any attention to me. Well, I got within about fifteen to twenty yards of these moose, and all of a sudden, the mother moose pops her head up and looks directly at me. I just froze, but only after I got a picture.

Drew is screaming at me to run back to the car. I am trying to decide if the moose is going to charge me, because she thinks her baby is in danger; or if she is just going to stare at me. Drew is still yelling at me. I finally start running back toward the car, and turn around to see if she is running after me. She is not, so... I take one more picture. :)

I make it back to the car, and to a lecture from Drew about how moose don't want to be my friends and how they kill people by crushing their skulls. I would rather continue to think they are just big and fluffy and nice.

1 comment:

hadassah said...

you are crazy...this is why i love you. great pic :)